Civil Partnerships Legal Advice Glasgow, Rutherglen

Under the Civil Partnership Act 2004, same sex couples have had their relationship recognised under law. This law applies throughout the UK although certain parts apply specifically to Scotland, for which specialist Scots family advice should be sought.

Legal rights under civil partnerships

In order to register a civil partnership, same-sex couples must ‘give notice’ to their local Registrar stating that you wish to register a civil partnership in Scotland. Such registration then provides the couple with legal rights, which are similar to the rights of married couples. These relate to the following areas:-

•    employment benefits
•    pensions
•    tax
•    child maintenance
•    parental responsibility for civil partner's children
•    protection from domestic violence
•    access to accident compensation and insurance
•    immigration rights

Given the complex legal issues concern, if you are considering a civil partnership, it is best to speak to an experienced family law solicitor.

Contact our family lawyers in Glasgow & Rutherglen

For expert legal advice from our family lawyers in respect of civil partnership law or any other family law issues, please telephone 0141 647 9851 and ask for Susan or Esther or you can use our online enquiry form. We are Scottish solicitors based in Rutherglen and Glasgow and provide expert advice and representation in all family law matters in Scotland.